Completing your thesis is a daunting task that can feel overwhelming at times!
Add deep work sessions to your calendar everyday. Prioritise time to work on your thesis and watch your productivity soar. Consistency is key.
You'll be amazed how much you can get done during a Flock, with a few hours of deep work. The more you do, the more you'll want to do.
State your goals and work-alongside your Flock. A virtual community of deep workers that will keep you accountable and connected.
Flocks are virtual deep work sessions where PhD students, freelancers, and other professionals come together to work silently on weightly tasks, with the guidance of our trained facilitators. Flocks are a fun and satisfying way to achieve focus and accountability.
1. Pick the sessions and dates you'd like to attend, and we'll send you calendar invites so your deep work time is blocked out. No pesky meetings eat into your work day.
2. Join the Flock using the Zoom link in the calendar invite, and you'll be part of a session with other like-minded professionals and our vibrant Flocks facilitators.
3. State your goals briefly to a small group of fellow ‘Flockers’. Then it's time to focus and work, in the silent presence of your Flock.
4. Keep your camera on. You’ll be amazed at the effect seeing other people work has on your own productivity.
5. Take a break halfway through - your facilitator will lead a short, fun interlude – to give your brain and body the right kind of invigoration.
6. Share how much you achieved of your session goals at the end of the Flock. Knowing you have to do this is a great incentive to stay focused throughout.
What I get from Flocks: concentration, productivity and… connection! FLOWN has a magic formula that helps me focus, while weaving in moments of connection – wonderful for remote workers.
Founder, Koru Kids
FLOWN has completely changed how I work. A few hours of really meaningful deep work helps me feel like I’m really achieving something. I'm more productive now than I have been for a long time - maybe ever. I am setting and meeting achievable goals, which increases my confidence.
PhD Student & Scriptwriter
I've got severe ADHD so my work is often interrupted and I frequently feel overwhelmed. FLOWN helps me work calmly, get through my admin, and achieve more than I'd do on my own.
Cal Newport, Deep Work: Rules for Focused Success in a Distracted World
That’s sort of the point. If you don't have time to join Flocks, it means you probably aren't getting time to do your actual work. Flocks aren’t about taking time off – they’re about making time to do the work that’s going to make the biggest difference. We recommend booking sessions in a week or more ahead of time, so your precious deep work time is locked in, and your day isn't eaten up with meetings, calls and emails. In the end, you'll get more done this way.
You don’t have to be if you really don’t want to… but if everybody turned their cameras off it wouldn’t work so well. Actually seeing your accountability group makes a massive difference – it triggers motivation, and puts you under a positive kind of pressure to succeed.
We can relate. But we don’t care, and nor do your fellow Flockers! The pandemic means that everybody is used to people working in messy kitchens or with dogs, kids, and flatmates poking their noses into their meetings. Flocks improve your focus and productivity. Zone out your environment and do some deep work!
Your fellow Flockers are NOT your boss. Flocks are about supportive accountability – so you don’t need a sophisticated presentation in your intentions. On Deep Dive sessions, just talk for a minute about what you intend to get done. The very act of sharing it is scientifically proven to improve your chances of actually doing it. Oh, and we don't do breakout rooms in Power Hour Flocks, so why not try one of those out first?